The school abuse hotline was set up when the government initiated a review of protection guidelines

The government has announced a new hotline to assist potential victims of sexual harassment and abuse in school or university to address the so-called "MeToo" moment in the education sector.

The dedicated number used by the NSPCC Children's Fund, went online on Thursday.

The line is designed to provide support and advice to victims of sexual abuse in schools, including how to contact the police.

Ofsted was also asked to do an immediate review of protective measures in state and independent schools.

The review examines the size and severity of the problem and ensures that schools have appropriate procedures in place for students to report concerns.

Continue reading:

Education Secretary Gavin Williamson said, “Sexual abuse in any form is abhorrent and it is important that these allegations are properly dealt with.

“While the majority of schools take their responsibility to protect very seriously, I am determined to ensure that the right resources and processes are in place across the education system to support victims of abuse.

Amanda Spielman, Ofsted's chief inspector, said: “Like everyone else, I was deeply concerned about reports of sexual abuse and harassment that young people have suffered in school and in the community.

“Schools play a crucial role in teaching young people sexual consent and respect for women and girls.

"They also need to be places where all children can feel safe, where they can report incidents of abuse or harassment and are confident that what they say will be implemented."

Earlier this week, a senior police officer alleged schools may have been covering up sex offenses to protect their reputations.

Chief Constable Simon Bailey said The times He was concerned that a "culture of misogyny and sexual harassment" had not been challenged in some schools.

Mr. Bailey said, “If someone has been initiated into rape or serious sexual assault, we want to hear from them.

"What I fear is that there will be a number of sexual predators that have moved from secondary school to university where they will continue to be insulted."

When asked if some schools had covered up reports to protect their reputations, Mr Bailey told the newspaper that he had no evidence.

But he added, “Am I naive enough to think that didn't happen? Of course I am not.

“Do I think there will be circumstances where abuse has been covered up to protect reputation? Yes I will."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *